Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bread: from beginning to end



I made some bread yesterday. It was a Swedish Rye Bread that Josh really likes, so I thought I would document the making of it rater than just the result. I ended up with a lot more dishes than I normally would have but it was fun.


Today I will add the recipe, in case you would like to make this delicious bread yourself.
I only made one leaf, though the recipe I'll give you makes two.


1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
3 tbsp melted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 1/4 cups rye flour
2 pkg active dry yeast (there are 2 1/4 tsp. yeast to a package)
5 cups bread flour
3 tbsp caraway seeds


In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, molasses, honey, and melted butter

Dissolve the yeast in 2 tbsp lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar and set a side.  Meanwhile scald the milk and water. That just means heat it up on the stove till it nearly comes to a boil.

Add the milk gradually to the rye mixture, and let it cool to lukewarm. By that time the yeast will be nice and frothy. Add to the rye mixture.

Then knead in the bread flour and the caraway seeds.

And then wait.  The directions say to let it rise till doubles in size, but I feel like that would have taken all day. maybe you will have more luck.  i let it it for a while and then put it into a bread pan, and let it sit some more.  At that point, though it is not in the instructions, I sprinkled it with coarse sea salt, Josh really likes it that way.

Then its time to put it in the oven.  Make sure it is preheated to 250 degrees, and bake it for 90 minutes.  Then change the temperature to 300F and bake about 15 minutes more. The bottom should sound hollow when tapped if it is finished.

enjoy!
It's really good with soups of any kind, or fresh from the oven with butter on it.




No comments:

Post a Comment